Skip to main content

Temporary residents departing Australia.

You may be eligible for government-initiated financial assistance, such as JobKeeper or JobSeeker payments, or to access the ATO-administered temporary special early release of super program.


Go here to learn more

As a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer is required to make Super Guarantee contributions to your chosen super fund.

Are you leaving Australia permanently?

As a temporary resident, you are not able to retire here; so when you leave Australia permanently you can take the money in your super account with you. This excludes people returning to New Zealand who are covered by the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme (for more information please click here).  This payment is called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) and should be claimed within six months of your departure and the expiry (or cancellation) of your temporary visa. It’s your money so make sure you claim it.

How to claim your super once you have departed Australia:

1. Account balance less than $5,000

It's simple – just apply online via the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website to claim your super. It's important to note that you can only claim your super once your visa has expired. Once you have applied and the ATO have notified Hostplus of your application, we will process the request and notify you via email that your cheque has been issued and mailed to your overseas address (as supplied in the ATO application form).

Once you've completed the online ATO application, allow up to 28 days to receive the cheque or funds into your nominated Australian bank account.

Super benefits paid to working holiday makers in Australia under the 417 (working holiday) or 462 (work and holiday) subclass visa, upon leaving Australia permanently, is subject to the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) withholding tax of 65% – even if you’ve earned part of it while working under a different visa.

Temporary residents who have never held a working holiday and/or work and holiday visa will be taxed at:

  • 0% for the tax-free component,
  • 35% for a taxed element of a taxable component, and
  • 45% for an untaxed element of a taxable component.

The DASP withholding tax will apply at the date of payment.

Before you leave Australia you may want to contact us for the following reasons. Simply call us on 1300 467 875 and we’ll be happy to assist: 

  • The balance of your account
  • The date your Hostplus account started
  • Update your overseas address to where the cheque is to be sent
  • Provide Hostplus with an email address
  • Hostplus can also run a lost super search to help you consolidate so that you only have to make the one claim

2. Account balance more than $5,000

If your account balance with Hostplus is more than $5,000 you’ll need apply online via the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website to claim your super. It's important to note that you can only claim your super once your visa has expired. You will be required to send additional documentation to Hostplus to support your claim. Full details on how to claim amounts over $5,000 can be found in the Hostplus Departing Australia Superannuation Payment application guide.

Once your application is approved, we will notify you via email that your cheque in Australian dollars has been issued and mailed to your overseas address. (Please note, you may incur charges by your overseas bank when your cheque is processed into the currency of your country of residence).

Did you leave Australia more than six months ago?

If you don’t claim your money within six months of departing Australia, your account balance may be paid to the ATO where you can still claim it back at any time as unclaimed super. Once the monies have been transferred to the ATO you will no longer have any benefits with Hostplus.

You can contact us for help with your super and to find out if you still have a Hostplus account, otherwise if it’s past the 6 month period your money is automatically transferred to the ATO and your Hostplus account will be closed without notification. At this time, you’ll need to contact the ATO directly.

Now I'd like to...