Role & responsibility:
- Independent Director
- Chair, Audit Committee
- Member, Risk & Compliance Committee
- Jointly appointed by AHA and United Workers Union
Qualifications and memberships
- Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Melbourne
- Member of the Order of Australia (2015)
- President of the Council of Trustees, National Gallery of Victoria
- Chair, Visit Victoria
- Council Member, Newman College, University of Melbourne
- Patron, Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation
- Member, Chief Executive Women
Janet is head of Gilbert + Tobin’s Disputes + Investigations practice in Melbourne. She is one of the pre-eminent commercial litigators in Australia and is known for obtaining outstanding results in the most complex disputes.
- Has been involved in the corporate arena as a director throughout her professional career, gaining extensive appreciation of the issues that face business leaders.
- Extensive governance and probity experience through providing advice professionally but also widespread experience in risk, finance and audit sub-committees of various organisations over more than 15 years.
- Janet is the President of the Council of Trustees of the National Gallery of Victoria, the first woman to hold the position in the Gallery’s 160 year history.
- Named one of Australia’s 10 Most Influential Women in the Westpac and Australian Financial Review 100 Women of Influence Awards in 2015 and won the category for Culture.
- Prior to joining Gilbert + Tobin, Janet was a partner with Corrs Chambers Westgarth for 22 years and led its Melbourne Commercial Litigation Division.
Other Directorships / appointments are detailed in the Relevant interests and relevant duties register.