As an Industry SuperFund, we’re committed to acting in your best interests at all times. To ensure we can provide you with the service and support you need, there is a certain amount of personal information we need to collect.
This policy briefly explains the main reasons why we collect your personal information, the ways we protect your privacy, and how we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about you from which you can reasonably be identified.
So why does Hostplus collect your personal and information?
In many cases, we have a legal obligation to collect your personal information. For example, we need to collect your details to confirm your identity when we create your super, pension or Hostplus Self-Managed Invest (SMI) account. Collecting and storing your information also helps us to manage your account and to respond to any queries or requests you may have such as:
- changing your investments,
- managing your insurance arrangements,
- processing super contributions,
- transferring monies or paying benefits,
- issuing your members statements
- keeping you up to date on other products and services available to you as a Hostplus member or SMI investor. (which may include sending you some marketing communications).
Certain information like your Tax File Number (TFN) is required for taxation and superannuation purposes and is authorised to be collected under the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993. Your TFN also allows us to look for other super accounts you may have lost track of, or super money that has been transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). We must obtain consent from you prior to using your TFN to search for other superannuation account you may have to consolidate your super.
At times we may need to collect sensitive information from you such as medical information and family relationship details to process insurance applications and benefit claims. This information is used by Hostplus and our insurers to assess your eligibility for an insured benefit. We will always seek your express consent before we collect any sensitive information from you, and we will ensure that the collection of this information is absolutely necessary.
Hostplus also collects personal information from employment candidates such as employment history, contact details and other information, either directly or through recruiters, for recruitment purposes. Similarly, Hostplus collects and holds personal information about its staff to enable payroll, travel and other administrative processes associated with employment at Hostplus.
What personal information do we ask for?
We collect information that’s relevant to our relationship with you, as your super fund or as the provider of Hostplus SMI account. * This includes:
- Full Name
- Date of birth*
- Residential Address*
- Postal Address
- Tax File Number (TFN)
- Insurance cover
- Australian Business Number
- Phone number
- Financial details
- Inland Revenue Department Number
- Registered Business Address
- Trust Type (for SMSFs)
- Director/Trustee information (for SMSFs)
- Email address
- Bank details
- Beneficiary details
- Working hours
- Investment choice
- Membership of other funds
- Photographs, signatures, identification document numbers and other information collected during the process of identifying you
- Social security information
- Bank Details (for SMSFs)
- Third Party Authority details (for SMSFs)
- Investment Choices (for SMSFs)
We may also need to ask you for sensitive information including:
- Medical information
- Affiliations with industry groups
- Family and/or personal relationship details
*If you don’t provide us with this type of personal information on request, we may not be able to create a superannuation, pension or SMI account on your behalf.
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
Where possible, we will collect information directly from you. Sometimes we collect personal information from a third party you would reasonably expect us to collect from, such as your employer, other trustee / directors / company secretary for the SMSF or financial adviser. We may also collect information from other super funds, government agencies, and from alliance partners such as those used for market research to improve our product and services.
Personal information may be collected through the following channels:
- Membership, SMI application and insurance forms.
- Over the phone via the Hostplus contact centre.
- As part of an insurance claim process or a request for access to your superannuation benefits.
- Via our Account Managers.
- Through our online portals when you update your details.
- Industry Fund Services financial planners.
- Address matches services provided by third party vendors.
- Government agencies such as Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), Australian Prudential Regulations Authority (APRA), Australian Government’s Document Verification Service (DVS), etc.
- Our alliance partners.
- Employment applications and associated recruitment activities.
We also use technology such as Google analytics and cookies to collect information about your visit to the Hostplus website and/or our online portals. This information includes the time and date of your visit, your IP address, the type of browser, pages visited, documents downloaded and length of visit. It’s important to note that this technology only identifies your device when you visit our website, it does not identify you.
Once collected, your personal information is stored securely on a database maintained by the Link Group (which incorporates Australian Administration Services Pty Limited ABN 62 003 429 114, also referred herein as 'AAS' or our 'Fund Administrator'). We may also hold your personal information in hard copy format if you provide it for purposes including, but not limited to, insurance and benefit claims and complaints. See Do we disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
f we receive unsolicited information from individuals or other sources on your behalf, we will determine if we could have collected the personal information for one or more of our functions or activities. If we could have collected your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse or unauthorised disclosure. In other circumstances, the information will be destroyed.
Who do we share your personal information with?
We may need to disclose relevant personal information to third party organisations that help us provide services. We limit the information provided to these organisations to what they need to perform their services for us or to provide products or services to you. These organisations are also bound by strict confidentiality arrangements.
Approved third parties may include:
- LINK Group/AAS – Contracted by the Fund for the provision of member and employer services, including the administration of insurance cover. The Link Group manage the database where your personal information is stored. AAS is a member of the Link Group of companies. Please refer to the Link Market Services website, www.linkgroup.com
- Third party vendors – engaged by the Link Group/AAS, such as information technology, printing, mailing, and address verification vendors.
A commercial organisation may also be used to independently verify your identification details prior to processing a benefit payment request or claim.
- Our insurers, including but not limited to MetLife Insurance Limited (MetLife) - are responsible for administering your insurance arrangements and processing any claims.
- UBS Securities Australia Limited as the platform and system provider for Hostplus Choiceplus product and the broker for Choiceplus trades in listed instruments.
- Medical practitioners and other relevant professionals – for assessing increased insurance applications and/or during the claims process for insurance benefits.
- Mail houses – that provide you with correspondence about your Hostplus account as well as keeping you up to date on other products and services available to you as a Hostplus member.
- Other superannuation funds – when your benefits are transferred or rolled over.
- Regulatory bodies – such as the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to the extent required by law.
- Your representative/s – either your legal representatives after your death to enable the processing of a death claim, or your other nominated agent or representative (including professional adviser) as authorised by you.
- An interpreter if you use a translation service –in this circumstance, your consent is required.
- Your spouse or former spouse – to the extent required by law.
- Marketing and market research agencies – organisations which provide marketing, product service and communications services to Hostplus.
- Industry Fund Services Ltd – You may be contacted directly by one of Hostplus’ dedicated Industry Fund Services (IFS) financial planners about financial planning services that may help you. Additionally, an IFS financial planner may need to access your information to provide you with tailored personal advice. Financial advice provided by an IFS financial planner is currently provided under their own Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL 232514). For further information please visit our advice page.
- Industry Fund Credit Control (IFCC) a division of IFS – to assist with the collection of Superannuation Guarantee payments in the event that an Employer becomes insolvent.
- ME Bank – our banking partner and one of the service provider for our Choiceplus product, who may contact you with exclusive offers for Hostplus members.
- Citigroup Lty Ltd – as custodian and administrator for the Hostplus Self-Managed Invest product,
- Third party vendors – engaged by the Citigroup such as LAB Group Services Pty Ltd who provide application and onboarding services.
- Our creative agencies – for marketing purposes and maintaining online tools.
- Auditors and Solicitors– for auditing the fund's compliance with processes and policies.
- Listed Companies or Responsible Entities – such as those of listed managed investment schemes available via the Choiceplus investment option, when required under legal notice.
- Advice Providers – such as Advisor Network Pty Ltd ABN 25 056 310 699 and Toowards ABN 23 074 054 998 for the purposes of providing limited financial product advice through the Hostplus online intra-fund advice tool.
- Financial advisers, Registry, Systems and Platform providers – to manage investments for the Self-Managed Invest product
- The KiwiSaver Scheme provider if you request to transfer your superannuation benefits to New Zealand.
- Advertising platforms to allow us to inform you of our products and services, or any other product or service we think you might be interested in.
- For the purposes of considering employment applications, we may disclose personal information from candidates to referees, recruiters, employment screening service providers and the Australian Financial Services Licensees we engage with for the provision of financial product.
- For Hostplus staff, probity, technology, payroll, travel and accommodation providers may be engaged to conduct the activities of their role.
Do we disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
Your personal information may also be stored on servers based in Australia, Germany, Malaysia, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and using an eRoom based in Singapore.
We may also need to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients in New Zealand and the United Kingdom if you make a request for the rollover out or in of your superannuation or pension benefits held in these countries. In addition, Citigroup will share personal information with their administration team in Malaysia when setting up an SMI account.
Need to get in touch?
Contact us via the details below if you would like to:
- Find out more. If you’d like further information about privacy at Hostplus, just let us know.
- Access or update your personal information. We’ll provide you with a copy of your requested personal information or update your details as soon as possible. We encourage you to contact us to correct any personal information we hold about you. In the rare event that we’re unable to provide you with access to or update your personal information, we’ll write to you to let you know why.
- Provide feedback or make a complaint. We’ll make sure that someone from Hostplus responds to you within 30 days. If you're still not satisfied with our response, you can then either contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority or the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
- Opt-out. Please contact us at any time if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing material, or do not wish to receive information about additional services that Hostplus or our partners provide. Alternatively, log-in to your Member Online account to opt-out.
Super members, please call us on 1300 467 875, pension members please call 1300 348 546 and SMI investors, please call 1300 350 819.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
Write to us at:
Locked Bag 5046
Parramatta NSW 2124.