Skip to main content

Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP)

If you’ve worked in Australia on a temporary visa, you can take the money in your super with you when you leave. This is called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

How to claim the DASP

Apply to the ATO within six months of leaving Australia and when your visa has expired or is cancelled. 

Apply to the ATO  
You can use your tax file number in the application to search for your super or provide your Hostplus member number and the Hostplus ABN (68 657 495 890). 

Once the ATO approves your application, they’ll instruct us to make your payment. This usually happens within 28 days of the ATO receiving your application. 

If your account balance is more than $5,000

As well as completing the ATO application, you’ll need to send us: 


You can claim the DASP if: 

  • you’ve left Australia permanently 
  • your visa is expired or cancelled 
  • you’re not a permanent resident or citizen of Australia or New Zealand. 

If you’re moving to New Zealand, you can’t claim the DASP but you may be able to transfer your super to a Kiwi Saver account.  

Download the KiwiSaver fact sheet (PDF, 352KB) for more information. 

Tax and the DASP 

You’ll pay tax on the taxable component of your super.  

Non-working holiday makers 

  • 35% for taxed component 
  • 45% for untaxed component

Working holiday makers 

  • 65% for both taxed and untaxed components 

If you don’t claim your super 

If you don’t claim your money within six months of departing Australia, we’ll transfer it to the ATO. You can still claim it back at any time as unclaimed super. Visit the ATO for more information on unclaimed super
If you have any questions about the DASP, please call us on 1300 467 875

Now I'd like to...

This website is issued by Host-Plus Pty Limited ABN 79 008 634 704, AFSL 244392 as trustee for the Hostplus Superannuation Fund (the Fund) ABN 68 657 495 890, MySuper No 68657495890198. Hostplus Self-Managed Invest (SMI) is issued by Host-Plus Pty Limited ABN 79 008 634 704, AFSL 244392 as trustee for the Hostplus Pooled Superannuation Trust (PST) ABN 13 140 019 340. It contains general advice only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider if this information is appropriate for you in light of your circumstances before acting on it. Please read the relevant Hostplus Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or Hostplus SMI PDS before making a decision about Hostplus. For a description of the target market, please read the Target Market Determination (TMD), available at You can view detailed disclaimers here. Hostplus has engaged Industry Fund Services Limited (IFS) ABN 54 007 016 195, AFSL 232514 to facilitate the provision of personal financial advice to members of Hostplus. Advice is provided by financial planners who are Authorised Representatives of IFS. Fees may apply for Comprehensive Financial Advice, further information about the cost of comprehensive advice is set out in the relevant IFS Financial Services Guide, a copy of which is available from your financial planner. Hostplus has engaged Link Advice Pty Ltd ABN 36 105 811 836, ASFL 258145 to facilitate the provision of limited personal financial advice to members of Hostplus via the web-based product Super Adviser.