Self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) are a growing sector in the super industry.
According to the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) as of March 2023:
- There were 606,217 SMSFs in Australia, with over 1.13 million members.
- $889.5 billion in funds under management out of a total superannuation pool of $3.5 trillion.
What if investors could use superannuation funds' investment expertise while maintaining SMSF control? Hostplus provides expertise to investors while allowing the investor control. The fund provides investment options to SMSFs through its Hostplus Self-Managed Invest (Hostplus SMI). Thanks to this Hostplus initiative, a suite of investment options is available for SMSFs.
What is Hostplus SMI?
Hostplus SMI enables SMSF investors to pool their funds with Hostplus and invest in two pre-mixed options. These are Hostplus Balanced and Hostplus Indexed Balanced. There are also five sector-specific investment options to choose from.
The sector-specific investment options are:
- Hostplus Infrastructure
- Hostplus Property
- Hostplus Australian Shares Indexed
- Hostplus Diversified Fixed Interest – Indexed
- Hostplus International Shares - Emerging Markets
Access non-traditional investments
At $100 billion in funds under management2, the size of Hostplus enables access to infrastructure investments usually only available to institutional investors. Through the Hostplus SMI sector-specific options, SMSFs can take advantage of this size.
For example, investors in the Hostplus SMI Infrastructure option and the Hostplus Balanced option have access to:
- Powering Australian Renewables Fund (PowAR)
- US-Based renewable energy company Terra-Genand (UK-based energy-from-waste company Infinium)1
Read more about our position on Responsible Investing.
Tap into professional investment expertise
Enjoy greater portfolio diversification
Hostplus offers investment options for broader diversification and potentially more profitable portfolios. Consider these options for a diversified SMSF portfolio.
Most SMSFs invest in Australia-listed shares, cash and term deposits, and unlisted trusts. Real property investment is less common. Diversification may improve performance and risk protection.
Transforming the industry
Hostplus SMI offers diversification through access to investment professionals and non-traditional assets. At Hostplus there is a commitment to support SMSFs in pursuing a profitable and diverse portfolio.
Need more help?
To learn more about Hostplus Self-Managed Invest, please send our team an online enquiry or call us on 1300 350 819.
1. For informational purposes only. All information is given in good faith and without warranty and should not be considered investment advice or an offer of any security for sale.
2. $102.6 billion funds under management at 31 July 2023. Includes funds under management for the Hostplus Pooled Superannuation Trust.
The information in this article is correct as at the time of publication.